Reaching out through
Reaching out through
As a JCMF mentor you can give someone the opportunity to learn, grow and dream big. Mentoring is a great way to give back to your community and help build brighter futures for students in upper basic schools.
As a mentor you’ll share your wisdom and life-experience to help boost confidence among your mentees, equipping them with essential life- and career-skills and the tools to realize their dreams.
The JCMF Mentorship Program provides boys and girls in upper basic schools the opportunity to meet positive role models, explore their career and education options, leadership skills and better prepare for their futures.
We match scholars with volunteer professional women and men (mentors for, a one-to-one mentoring relationship that focuses on the general needs of mentored students academic, social and pastoral.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
We match you with a mentor (A member of JCMF) based on your career and education goals, hobbies and other interests. You’ll meet with your mentor once each month to provide counseling and guidance, make education and training plans, improve your leadership skills, gain new life experience and more.
GOAL: Improving students’ overall performance
- To foster caring and supportive relationships
- Encourages individuals to develop to their fullest potential
- To encourage active community service
BENEFITS OF BEING IN A MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
- Make new friends
- Learn new things
- Honing of skills
- Develop leadership skills
- Know what they want to get out of the relationship and are able to express their needs to their mentors
- Take initiative and are not afraid to ask questions, make suggestions and express their opinions
- Are committed and motivated
- Are flexible and open
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES AS A MENTEE
- Contact your mentor to schedule monthly meetings (most of our mentors live and work and mentees are expected to arrange their own transportation to meet their mentors)
- Maintain regular and frequent contact with your mentor via phone calls or emails
- Submit monthly journal entries about your experience
DESIRED OUTCOME: The length of the matches
- Student, mentor, parent and teacher satisfaction;
- Improved attendance
- Improved classroom behavior
- Improved life skills
HOW TO APPLY
- Each scholar is automatically a member of the Mentorship program
- Mentees are matched with mentors who are professionally sound and with experience
- Attend a mentee interview
- Attend mentee training
- Attend a mentee social evening
Only candidates who demonstrate a genuine interest in learning from a mentor and are ready to make a yearlong commitment to the program will be considered.